Monday, April 27, 2009

Sort of like the season finale of Flavor of Love....but not so much

Well. It's been a week of the LAM(large animal medicine), and I've survived so far. I question how well, because people have started commenting on how tired I look, which is really a polite way of saying " You left the house like that?", but at 5:30am, some things start to become non-essential. Like moving the shower to the night before, which normally I never do because I am afflicted with the kind of hair that looks like I rubbed Crisco in it if I don't wash it everyday. Like 10 hours of clean hair look, max.
Let's talk about my patients. I had an ADORABLE goat with 2 little babies who were like tiny street performers who would rocket off the walls and leap into mid air. Best of all, they were 12 lbs, so I could pick them up, as innocuous as a puppy.This is a drastic change from the 8 week old 350 lb foal who tried to run me over today. Just because it's 2 months old doesn't mean it can't kill you. It also doesn't know how to walk on a lead rope(by the way, the LAM folks DON'T call this a leash. They also don't use the word stall and cage interchangeably. Whatev.)
Then I had the alpacas. Well, one patient, who wasn't really all that sick and a)came in on emergency yesterday therefore taking up my afternoon and b) brought along a companion alpaca. Sure a companion is all well and good, but that means I have to do loads of paperwork on a perfectly healthy animal. People don't have to write reports on friends that show up at the hospital with them do they? I'm just saying.Well, let's talk about the alpacas. A cute 150 lbs, I thought, oh this will be fun. And then they spit on me. WHAT? Yes. Alpacas spit on you when they are dissatisfied with the service. Such as an injection. Or you just trying to get a heart rate on the companion for crying out loud.
Somehow all 5 inpatients left this morning, and I am the only one of my team who is inpatient less. This also makes me first for whatever calamity walks in the door tomorrow. And I'm on call again all night. And it's foal season. And if anyone wants to know about something "interesting"....google dummy foal.
Tomorrow I plan to post a picture of what I feel is DJ Tanner's comforter from Full House. From when she shared a room with Stephanie. And I found it in the laundry room today. I just need to sneak my camera in. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment